Children's Passports - ItsEasy

Apply for a passport for a minor child under 16 years


Updated March 19, 2020

As you probably know, the situation with the COVID-19 Coronavirus Emergency is quite fluid with new directives being issued by the U.S. Department of State.

Expedited Passport Services in Less Than 2 Weeks

The regional Passport Agencies, under the direction of the U.S. Department of State, have ordered that such expedited Passport services shall now only be available under the following conditions:

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g. parent, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days).

To obtain an expedited Passport in less than 2 weeks, the traveler must meet the following conditions:

  • Proof of the Life-or-Death Emergency
    Support documents include: a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents should be translated or in English.
  • Proof of International Travel
    Travel Itinerary showing reservation, ticket, or itinerary
For placing such Emergency Expedited Passport Orders, please contact ItsEasy by phone at 1-866-487-3279 to coordinate this Emergency Passport Service.

Read the U.S. Department of State Notice

Standard Passport RENEWAL Services in 3-8+ Weeks

As of today, the U.S. Department of State indicates that Standard Passport RENEWAL Processing Application will still be accepted for processing.

ItsEasy can help you with getting you your renewed U.S. Passport.

All Expedited (Less Than 2 Week) Passport Renewal Orders via ItsEasy will be converted to 3-8 Week Standard Processing orders, with fee adjustments accordingly.

The U.S. Department of State is advising citizens that their Standard processing times are likely longer than originally quoted:

  • "Expedited" 2-3 Week Service will now likely take 3-8 Weeks
  • "Non-Expedited" 4-6 Week Service will now likely take 8+ Weeks
You may order our Economical Passport Renewal Processing service via one of the following methods:

For those travelers needing New (or Replacement for Lost/Stolen) Passports, our best advice is to complete the DS-11 form and submit those directly at a Passport-supporting U.S. Post Office for 2-6 week service. ItsEasy cannot assist with these types of New/Replacement Passports at this time.

Please contact ItsEasy at 1-866-487-3279 for direct 1-1 assistance with your passport needs. We are here to help you during this challenging time.

Children's Passports Overview

Children's passports cannot be renewed, therefore, each time a minor child needs a new passport, they must apply for a new one (except in the case of lost or stolen child's passports in which case the missing passport must be reported prior to or when applying for a new child's passport). If the child is 16 years or older, they may apply for a new adult passport which will be valid for ten years.

Questions About a Passport for a Child

If you have any questions about getting a new child passport, we are here to help - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We know that applying for a new child passport can seem daunting, but with ItsEasy Passport service, we make it, well... Easy! You can begin reviewing the requirements, applications and fees here. If you have any questions along the way, we are here to help you 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-866-ITS-EASY (487-3279)
Get Children's Passports
At ItsEasy Passports we know that you have many choices for getting your passport online through an expediting company and we thank you for choosing ItsEasy to assist with your US passports.

Get Child's Passport!

Related Passport Information Pages

Passport Renewal Photos, Help Fast Passport, Get a Passport, Second Passport, Passport Application, Passport Name Change

Sample Requirements For Children's Passports

Below is a sample set of requirements for obtaining the Children's Passports Service. These requirements are only a SAMPLE. To get the EXACT requirements for your passport needs, please go to our TripBuilder page and enter in your specific information that is your exact situation.

US Children's Passports Requirements

Prerequisites for Children's Passports

(if the below criteria are not met, please select a different passport service above)

  • Applicant is a US citizen under 16 years old, AND;
  • Applicant has never had a U.S. passport issued before, OR;
  • Applicant's passport has or will expire soon.

1.1  Process Overview

Applicant and both parents or legal guardian(s) must gather documents listed below and make a personal appearance in front of an Acceptance Agent.

An Acceptance Agent is a government employee who will verify the identity of the applicant.

Acceptance Agents are available at most Post Offices and Court Houses.

Applicant must indicate that he/she is using an expediting service to "hand carry" the passport application. The Acceptance Agent will have the applicant and parent sign the application and seal all documents in an envelope and return the sealed envelope to parent or legal guardian.

Sealed envelope with new passport application is forwarded to ItsEasy for processing.

1.2  Proof of Citizenship

To obtain a new passport, applicant must bring an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, naturalization papers or old passport.

Birth certificates must show applicant and parent(s) full names - "short form" birth certificates may not be acceptable.

1.3  Parental or Legal Guardian's Proof of Identification

Parent or guardian will be required to show a driver's license or state-issued identification issued more than six months ago. Official government or military picture identification, valid U.S. or foreign passport with photo, or an I.N.S. Alien Resident Card is also acceptable.

1.4  Parental and/or Legal Guardian's Proof of Relation to Child

Parents and/or legal guardians must prove their relation to the applicant. Generally this is done by matching the name on a driver's license or state-issued identification to the original birth certificate.

Other acceptable documents are Certified Foreign Birth Certificate of the applicant (translated, if necessary); Report of Birth Abroad of the Applicant: Form FS-240; Certification of Birth Abroad of the Applicant: Form DS-1350; Adoption Decree of the Applicant (with adopting parents' names); Court Order Establishing Custody of the Applicant; Court Order Establishing Guardianship of the Applicant; or similar legal documents.

Note: If the name of the parent/guardian is other than that on the document, evidence of legal name change is required.

Note: Although discourage, when only one parent or legal guardian is available to appear in person, the other parent or legal guardian may provide a notarized consent statement and photo copy of identification. Only original copies are accepted. This requirement is strictly enforced to protect children. See link below to download Consent Form 3053 (must be notarized).

Note: If only one parent is listed on the birth certificate or court order of full custody, then the second parent or legal guardian requirement is waived.

1.5  Passport Photos

Applicant must submit two (2) identical, color, passport style photographs. These may be obtained at many post offices, Kinkos, Mailboxes Etc or similar locations.

1.6  Proof of Travel

Applicant must submit a computer-generated itinerary from a travel agency or online booking tool (such as an e-confirmation) showing departure from the U.S.

Print two copies. Provide one copy to the Acceptance Agent to be included in the sealed envelope and one copy must be included with documents delivered to ItsEasy.

1.7  Authorization Letter

Applicant must submit an original "Letter of Authorization" which allows ItsEasy to submit the application to the US State Dept. The link below will provide two copies, one to go inside the sealed envelope and one to go outside the sealed envelope in the package to ItsEasy.

Must be printed SINGLE SIDED.

1.8  Government Fees

The US State Dept charges $140 for expedited passports and $35 for verification of new passport applications by the Acceptance Agent.

Both fees must be paid to the Acceptance Agent onsite. The new passport fee of $140 may be paid by check, cash, money order. If paying by check, starter checks are not acceptable. Indicate the applicants name and DOB in the memo line. The Acceptance Agent fee of $35 may be paid by any payment method.

1.9  New Passport Application (DS-11)

Applicant must submit one completed passport application form (DS-11) by following the link below. The US State Dept web site "wizard" will walk you through the application. Hand written applications will not be accepted for expedited services.

After completing passport application online, print by pressing "Create Form" button. Print two (2) completed passport applications. One copy will be included in the sealed envelope by the Acceptance Agent and the second copy (which does not need to be signed) must be included with documents delivered to ItsEasy.

DO NOT SIGN the completed application until instructed to do so by Acceptance Agent.

Note: While completing the application, the wizard will prompt you to select fees, shipping and processing options. Select any options to complete form. No payments will be made and options selected will have no affect on the actual service delivered by ItsEasy. The guide is simply to assist the general public in calculating fees for traditional mail-in applications.

1.10  Review Your Documents

Applicant will place the sealed envelope from the Acceptance agent and additional documents listed below in a shipping envelope (if the sealed envelope is too large for the shipping envelope, fold it neatly in half)

1) Envelope sealed by Acceptance Agent containing items above.

Note: Most standard processing passport applications are submitted through the post office. The post office encourages applicants to pay for confirmed shipping which adds between $15 and $25. Since you are using an expediting service, DO NOT PAY THE ADDITIONAL POSTAGE FEES. This will cause delay and possible rejection of your expedited passport application.

2) On the outside of the sealed envelope, applicant must write the following:

Last Name, First Name
Date of Birth
Departure Date
Contact Phone Number

* If there is more than one application in the envelope (for multiple applicants), write out each applicants name and date of birth.

3) Copy of travel itinerary

4) Completed (signed) copy of Letter of Authorization (marked "EXTRA COPY")

5) Completed (unsigned) copy of passport application

Google Remarketing Tag