US Passport Name Change - ItsEasy

How to Change Your Name on a Passport Legally


Updated March 19, 2020

As you probably know, the situation with the COVID-19 Coronavirus Emergency is quite fluid with new directives being issued by the U.S. Department of State.

Expedited Passport Services in Less Than 2 Weeks

The regional Passport Agencies, under the direction of the U.S. Department of State, have ordered that such expedited Passport services shall now only be available under the following conditions:

Life-or-death emergencies are serious illnesses, injuries, or deaths in your immediate family (e.g. parent, sibling, aunt, uncle, etc) that require you to travel outside the United States within 72 hours (3 days).

To obtain an expedited Passport in less than 2 weeks, the traveler must meet the following conditions:

  • Proof of the Life-or-Death Emergency
    Support documents include: a death certificate, a statement from a mortuary, or a signed letter from a hospital or medical professional. Documents should be translated or in English.
  • Proof of International Travel
    Travel Itinerary showing reservation, ticket, or itinerary
For placing such Emergency Expedited Passport Orders, please contact ItsEasy by phone at 1-866-487-3279 to coordinate this Emergency Passport Service.

Read the U.S. Department of State Notice

Standard Passport RENEWAL Services in 3-8+ Weeks

As of today, the U.S. Department of State indicates that Standard Passport RENEWAL Processing Application will still be accepted for processing.

ItsEasy can help you with getting you your renewed U.S. Passport.

All Expedited (Less Than 2 Week) Passport Renewal Orders via ItsEasy will be converted to 3-8 Week Standard Processing orders, with fee adjustments accordingly.

The U.S. Department of State is advising citizens that their Standard processing times are likely longer than originally quoted:

  • "Expedited" 2-3 Week Service will now likely take 3-8 Weeks
  • "Non-Expedited" 4-6 Week Service will now likely take 8+ Weeks
You may order our Economical Passport Renewal Processing service via one of the following methods:

For those travelers needing New (or Replacement for Lost/Stolen) Passports, our best advice is to complete the DS-11 form and submit those directly at a Passport-supporting U.S. Post Office for 2-6 week service. ItsEasy cannot assist with these types of New/Replacement Passports at this time.

Please contact ItsEasy at 1-866-487-3279 for direct 1-1 assistance with your passport needs. We are here to help you during this challenging time.

US Passport Name Change Service

Whether due to marriage, divorce, adoption or other legal reason, passports must reflect the legal and correct name of the passport holder. If the name on a passport does not match other identification or the name on airline tickets, the passport holder may experience delay or detainment upon border crossings. Therefore, it is important to update the name on passport to reflect the name change.

To change the name on a passport, the applicant must provide original name change documentation such as a marriage certificate or divorce decree. These types of documents are verified by the US State Department and then a new passport is issued with the name change. When submitting a US passport application name change, note that the original passport with the previous name will be cancelled. Any valid visas, with some exceptions, may no longer be valid. This is a downside to processing a passport name change application.

US Passport Name Change

How to Change Name on Passport

Once the name change application is submitted, the US State Department updates their records to reflect the name change. If the applicant loses their new passport with the updated name they do not need to prove the legality of the name change again as the new name has already been certified by the government.
Passport Name Change Document
Once a name change application is submitted, the applicant will be known by the new name. In order to have a passport issued in the old name (or any other name), the applicant must prove the name has been legally changed again. Otherwise, any further applications requesting a different name will be rejected. So if you
re ready to update the name on your passport, please visit the Passport Name Change Requirements page for a list of name change requirements and name change instructions and applications.

Order Name Change!

Related Passport Information Pages

Passport Application, Second Passport, Child Passport, Replace Damaged Passport, Replace Lost Passport, Get Passport in a Hurry

Sample Requirements For Passport Name Change

Below is a sample set of requirements for obtaining the Passport Name Change Service. These requirements are only a SAMPLE. To get the EXACT requirements for your passport needs, please go to our TripBuilder page and enter in your specific information that is your exact situation.

US Passport Name Change Requirements

Prerequisites for Passport Name Change

(if the below criteria are not met, please select a different passport service above)

  • Applicant has US passport is in his or her possession, AND;
  • Applicant has legally changed their name since most recent passport was issued AND;
  • Applicant's passport was issued within the past 15 years AND;
  • Applicant applicant was 16 years or older when passport was issued.

1.1  Current Passport

Applicant must submit their current passport. Current passport will be returned marked "Cancelled" by the US State Department along with new passport reflecting name change.

1.2  Passport Photos

Applicant must submit two (2) identical, color, passport style photographs. These may be obtained at many post offices, Kinkos, Mailboxes Etc or similar locations.

1.3  Name Change Documentation

Applicant must submit original or certified copy of the marriage certificate (not a license) or a court decree ordering a name change or an adoption. The document must show the official seal of the issuing authority. All official documents will be returned.

1.4  Proof of Travel

Applicant must submit a computer-generated itinerary from a travel agency or online booking tool (such as an e-confirmation) showing departure from the U.S.

If traveling on business and no itinerary is available, a letter on company letterhead indicating dates and purpose of travel MAY suffice. If applicant does not possess proper itinerary, please contact us for options.

1.5  Authorization Letter

Applicant must submit a "Letter of Authorization" which allows ItsEasy to submit the application to the US State Dept.

Must be printed SINGLE SIDED.

1.6  Name Change Application (DS-82)

Applicant must submit one completed passport application form (DS-82) by following the link below. The US State Dept web site "wizard" will walk you through the application. Hand written applications will not be accepted for expedited services. After completing passport application online, print by pressing "Create Form" button. Single-sided printing only.

DO NOT forget to sign and date the completed application in blue or black ink after printing.

Note: While completing the application, the wizard will prompt you to select fees, shipping and processing options. Select any options to complete form. No payments will be made and options selected will have no affect on the actual service delivered by ItsEasy. The guide is simply to assist the general public in calculating fees for traditional mail-in applications.

Google Remarketing Tag